Bunions Treatment in Homer Glen & New Lenox, IL
Vittori Foot & Ankle Specialist – Bunions Treatment Services
Bunions are deformities of the big toe that occur when the toe changes angle to point towards the second toe, and in some instances, overlap it. A bunion can be identified by the formation of a hard, boney lump or bump located on the joint at the base of the big toe, which is often quite large and protrudes from the side of the joint. The medical term used to describe a bunion in conjunction with the change in angle of the big toe, is Hallux Valgus.
Suffering from a bunion can be very painful, particularly when you’re walking, as the joint is responsible for providing support, motion, and propulsion. Due to the difficulties and discomfort caused by bunions, it’s often a struggle to enjoy an active, pain-free lifestyle.
Unlike some foot and toe problems, it’s not possible to treat bunions at home any further than the pain caused by the deformity. Professional diagnosis and treatment are essential for long-term relief from symptoms and to have the bunion permanently removed.
At the Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic in Homer Glen, IL, we can help you to manage the pain of bunions, provide treatments for soreness and stiffness, and perform surgical bunion removals for long-term relief from the pain and discomfort.
If you suspect that you have a bunion and require an expert diagnosis in Homer Glen, then please get into contact with our friendly team today and we’ll be happy to help you.
The Signs & Symptoms of Bunions
Bunions develop gradually over time, so you may not notice straight away that there’s anything wrong with your foot. The first sign is normally a slight change in the angle of your big toe, which will slowly become more pronounced.
As the toe changes position, the bunion will become more evident, and some people start to experience additional symptoms, that can include:
- Pain that can be reoccurring or continuous
- Redness and swelling on the lump
- Calluses and corns
- A reduction in movement
- Trouble walking
- A burning sensation
Some people also find that they experience blistering and irritation from the friction caused by the lump rubbing against the inside of their shoes; it’s possible for continued irritation to cause infection.
If you’ve noticed any of the signs and symptoms of bunions, then please get into contact with the Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic in Homer Glen, IL as soon as possible so you can begin treatment.
What Can Cause a Bunion to Develop?
Bunions are a fairly common, but there’s currently no known cause of the condition. It’s thought that a number of factors can contribute to the development of a bunion, such as deformities and injuries to the foot.
There are also a number of factors that are considered to increase the risk of bunion development, including:
- Wearing high heels
- Wearing shoes that don’t fit properly
- Rheumatoid arthritis
The Possible Complications of Untreated Bunions
A bunion can look like little more than a bump on the side of your foot, but it’s actually a visual sign that the anatomy of your foot has changed. Such a drastic alteration to the foot can cause a number of problems if left untreated, such as:
Seeking a professional diagnosis and treatment in the event of a suspected bunion is very important to minimize the risk of complications occurring. If you have any questions about bunions and the possible complications, contact the Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic in Homer Glen, IL.
Think You Have a Bunion? Here’s What to Do…
If you suspect that you have a bunion, or another problem causing pain or impacting the motion of your foot, then it’s important to visit a podiatrist in Homer Glen, IL for a professional diagnosis.
The diagnosis will include a consultation with one of our expert podiatrists and a full physical examination. We can also x-ray your foot to get a further understanding of the condition, allowing us to learn more about the severity of the condition and determine which treatment option will be best for you.
What Are the Options for Bunion Treatment in Homer Glen, IL?
When treating bunions at the Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic in Homer Glen, IL, our main priorities will be to prevent the bunion from growing further and to provide you with relief from the pain.
The only treatment option for bunion removal is surgery, however, it is possible to treat the symptoms of bunions in a number of ways, these include:
- Taking pain relief medications, such as ibuprofen
- Using ice to reduce inflammation
- Wearing comfortable and wide shoes
- Using toe supports and spacers
Conservative treatment can help you to pursue an active lifestyle and manage the symptoms of a bunion without as much pain. If more extensive relief is required, bunion surgery in Homer Glen, IL may be advised by the podiatrists at the Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic.
Surgery is often suggested when the bunion is affecting your other toes, when the bunion causes considerable pain, and when the severity of the bunion impacts your life past what non-surgical treatment can relieve.
Surgical treatment for bunions can vary considerably depending on how severe the bunion is. It may be advised that swollen tissue is removed from the joint, your toes may be realigned, or a section of bone in your toe joint may need to be removed.
Due to the vast differences in surgical procedures for the treatment of bunions in Homer Glen, IL, it’s very important that you book a consultation with a podiatrist at the Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic to create the best treatment plan for you.
Bunion Surgery in Homer Glen, IL from the Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic
The knowledge and experience of a surgeon and the environment where a surgery is taking place are important things to consider before choosing a podiatric surgeon. Here’s how Dr. Vittori ensures that you receive an exceptional standard of care and treatment during surgical procedures at the Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic in Homer Glen, IL:
- The Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic is a high-quality surgical facility.
- Communication will be completely honest at all times.
- Dr. Vittori has full American Board of Podiatric Surgery certification.
- Dr. Vittori has a comprehensive knowledge of biomechanics that allows him to choose the best treatment for you based on a full evaluation of your biomechanical structure; this includes the bone motion, the alignment of the leg and foot, and the tightness of the leg muscles.
- During treatment, Dr. Vittori makes sure that tissue is handled softly with a high level of care to minimize pain.
- We always use foot orthotics after the operation, so that the relief gained from surgery continues in the long term.
- Dr. Vittori has an extensive amount of surgical experience, so complications can be handled more effectively, and they are less likely to occur.
Bunion Treatment By Podiatrist
when there is an enlargement of the joint at the base and side of the big toe a bunion can occur. This can cause pain as they rub together:
Main goals for bunion treatment at Vittori Foot and Ankle Specialists:
- Relieve the pressures and pains caused by the bunion
- Stop growth of the bunion
Podiatric Bunion Surgery Clinic Homer Glen, IL
It’s key to choose a doctor who is qualified in order to achieve the best outcome. Here are some of the things you need to consider when choosing your podiatrist.
- Board certification – You need to pick a surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery. Dr. Vittori is board certified.
- Understanding of biomechanics – In order to elect the best procedure/treatment for your case, a Podiatric Surgeon must also have the ability to evaluate your biomechanical structure, including: tightness of leg muscles, foot and leg alignment, motion of the bones around the bunion site and midfoot, and rear foot alignment.
- Extensive experience – An experienced surgeon, like Dr. Vittori, has the better techniques to deal with complications and reduce the risks of any complications occurring at all.
- Careful handling of tissues – A top surgeon who handles tissue with good care and a more soft touch will help keep pain at a low level both short term and long term.
- Quality surgical facility
- Honest communication throughout diagnosis and treatment – Explains the potential complications and keeps patient aware at all times of the condition status as well as realistic outcomes.
- Uses post operation foot orthotics – It’s not always enough to do surgery for long term relief. If your doctor does not help correct the biomechanical reasons for the bunion in other parts of the foot, then the result in the long term may not be positive. Post operation orthotics are key to long term effective treatment.
The Vittori Foot and Ankle Clinic: Expert Treatment for Bunions in Illinois
Bunions have the potential to cause long-term problems that can impact your life in many ways, but with help from the podiatrists at Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic in Homer Glen, IL, you can restore your quality of life with treatment that’s tailored to your needs. For bunion patients who cannot get relief from regular treatments, Vittori Foot and Ankle Specialists also offers bunion surgery.
For more information about bunion treatment in Homer Glen, IL from the Vittori Foot & Ankle Clinic, please get into contact with us today.